Friday, November 26, 2010

Being Thankful

Jake had to write a speech for a writing assignment at school. He made the tactical error of telling me he got extra credit for delivering the speech at Thanksgiving dinner. Extra Credit? Hooray! Since Jake had to give a speech I assigned Max the task of saying grace. When I asked him if he needed to write it down, or needed any help, he said " I go to church, I know how to pray!" Jake's speech was beautiful and touching. There was not a dry eye at the table. He told me I wasn't allowed to make commentary after his speech. I could applaud if I liked it. I did, and I did!

Here is his speech:

Today I’m going to give thanks to my family. First, I would like to thank my Mom and Dad for being caring and supportive. Whether I’m sad, frustrated, or just lonely, they’re always there. I give thanks to my brothers for giving me a friend when I need one. Then, I give thanks to my Nana and Pa. I thank them for letting me stay at their house when I’m on break. Next, I give thanks to my Aunt Kate. Even though she can be obnoxious, turning her movies to the loudest volume ever, I still give thanks for her. I also give thanks to my Uncle Vitcha, who is fighting in a war, hoping he will be safe. I thank Aunt Jo and Tatianna even though they are not here. Now, hopefully, my brother can recite a decent prayer.

For the record, his brother did recite a wonderful prayer. I'm thankful for these beautiful, wise, and witty boys.

1 comment:

Our 3 Monkees said...

Oh that was wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing that. =)